Tuesday, February 1, 2011


(above, pianist/composer James Drew)

As Arnold might say, “I’m Back!” Sorry about taking 2 years off from adding any new items to this blog but as of today this will change.

On a semi-sad note one of my best friends, classical composer, jazz pianist Jame Drew passed away from a sudden illness on Dec. 23, 2010. James was my music partner for several years when he resided in Florida. He was a monster musician who kept me on my toes, learning new tunes and expanding my improvisatory abilities in new directions. In the spirit of celebration rather than mourning I’ll be adding a lengthy tribute to him in the next few weeks at this blog. If you knew James or heard him play I’d be interested in hearing from you.

Of course James was a Bill Evans fan but very much into developing his own thing, going his own personal way in jazz. We had some musically satisfying experiences as well as some humorous ones, especially with saxophonist Alan Eager who was attempting one of his comeback appearances, this time in Central Florida. Our partner in crime for several gigs was great Central Florida drummer Barry Smith. Make sure you talk to Barry sometime for his take on James.

As you learn more about James I hope you enjoy his playing as much as I did. I’ll miss him very much.

1 comment:

  1. I'm terribly sorry to hear of your loss.

    ReplyDelete